Weekend & Evening Activities
The Student Activities Committee, composed of students and faculty members, plans a variety of activities throughout the year including dances, sporting events and movies; trips to museums, malls, and restaurants in Nashville and Chattanooga; and caving, canoeing and camping trips. Mountain biking is popular on school trails and on the hundreds of miles of nearby trails.
Transportation is provided into Sewanee, where students may shop and attend movies, performances and lectures. Both boarding and day students may participate in the weekend activities.
A Small Sampling of Things to Do
- Go ice skating in Huntsville.
- Attend a John Prine concert in Nashville.
- Go white water rafting on the Ocoee River.
- Compete in a campus Lord of the Rings trivia contest.
- Enjoy the opera in Nashville.
- Bike or walk the Mountain Goat Trail
- Swim at the indoor pool in the Fowler Center at the University of the South.
- Spend the night under the stars on a camping trip.
- Enjoy Meals, Reels & Deals shopping and movie trips to Chattanooga.
- See movies at the Sewanee Union Theatre.
- Go fishing in the campus lake.
- Attend an African drum concert at the University of the South.
- Go to Six Flags and Braves games in Atlanta.
- Stay up all night for the annual Read-a-thon (read a novel by the fire until it's finished, then head to town for breakfast).
- Swing a hammer for Housing Sewanee.
- Enjoy the Vermeer Quartet and a violin master class at the University.