At St. Andrew's-Sewanee School, we are committed to making our superb college preparatory program available to deserving students. St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School annually awards more than $2,200,000 in financial aid. In 2018-2019, over 50% of our student body received a financial aid grant. Application for financial aid has no bearing on admission to St. Andrew's-Sewanee School. Listed below are several options that families can use to help manage the cost of tuition.
- Financial Aid Overview
- Considerations & Requirements
- Financial Aid Application Process & Deadlines
- Additional Resources: The Claiborne Scholarship Program
- Additional Resources: The Episcopal Employees Grant
- The Scholarship for Residents of Shelby County, TN
- Additional Resources: Tuition Payment Plans
- Additional Resources: 529 Plans
Need-based financial aid provides assistance to students who would otherwise be unable to attend St. Andrew's-Sewanee School. Financial aid grants at St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School are strictly need-based and are determined using the School and Student Services (SSS) application process. Click here for helpful hints.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School adheres to the National Association of Independent Schools' (NAIS) "Guiding Principles for Families" which recognizes that families bear the primary responsibility for financing their children’s education. A monthly evaluation of your income and expenses can be helpful in determining the affordability of independent school. A helpful resource is SSS's Parents' Financial Statement Workbook and Instruction Booklet.
Please consider the following as you prepare to submit your application for financial aid:
- Applications can be completed at SSS's Family Portal. (St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's ID Number is: 6292)
- The application fee is $51.
- We require both custodial and non-custodial parents to file financial aid forms.
- Financial Aid grants are need-based and do not need to be repaid.
- The deadline for Financial Aid applications is February 15. (Applications received after the deadline will be processed if funds are available.)
- No financial aid grant covers the full cost of tuition at St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School. (Please note that some fees associated with attending St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School are not covered by financial aid grants.)
- St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's financial aid policy requires a signed copy of the family's Federal Tax Return (1040) and W2’s or 1099’s to be submitted, along with the application, to SSS.
- Applications for financial aid must be submitted annually.
- Submission of the financial aid application does not guarantee that a financial aid grant will be awarded.
- If you have any questions related to financial aid, please feel free to contact Director of Admission and Financial Aid, Derek Perkins, with your financial aid questions.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's financial aid program is administered in the strictest of confidence. We request that recipients and their families keep their grant information confidential as well.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School utilizes School and Student Services (SSS) to process all financial aid applications. This application and the required supporting documents assist St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's Financial Aid Committee in determining a financial aid grant amount. St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's SSS ID Number is: 6292.
Complete and submit the SSS Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS) application online at SSS's Family Portal by February 15. Use SSS's Parents' Financial Statement Workbook and Instruction Booklet to help you complete your PFS.
Upload copies of the following items after submitting your PFS:
- Prior year's federal tax return (1040)
- Prior year’s W2 and/or 1099
- Current year's federal tax return (1040) - Note: when available
- Current year's W2 and/or 1099
(Please upload copies of your tax documents directly to the SSS website. This is the preferred collection method.)
Mail or deliver copies of the items in the following list (as appropriate) to St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School Admission Office at the address below:
- Divorce or separation decree that indicates any financial responsibility related to cost of education by either partner
- Custody arrangement
- Disability documentation
- Unemployment or severance agreements
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School
290 Quintard Road
Sewanee, TN 37375
When will you be informed of the decision?
Financial aid grants will not be finalized until all appropriate forms mentioned above have been received. Parents are notified of grant decisions by electronic letter. No financial aid grant will be offered until the student’s admission application is processed and the student is offered admission at St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School. While first consideration will be given to applications received by February 15, applications received after February 15 will be reviewed on a rolling basis depending on availability of funds.
The Claiborne Scholars Program is an SAS-administered merit scholarship for incoming 9th and 10th grade boarding students who have demonstrated academic achievement and a willingness to serve the community. This program is available to all qualified students and is suitable for families who would not qualify for need-based financial aid. Students interested in applying to the Claiborne Scholars Program should make the Admission staff aware of their interest.
Thanks to a generous donation, SAS has a special scholarship program specifically for deserving students from Shelby County, Tennessee, to pursue a boarding school education at SAS at little or no tuition cost. Students with academic promise, demonstrated financial need, and demonstrated leadership ability whose presence enhances the cultural, ethnic, socio-economic, and/or racial diversity of the school will be given priority. If you are a resident of Shelby County, Tennessee, contact the Admission Office for more information.
Tuition Payment Plans administered by FACTS allow parents to spread the cost of tuition over as many as 10 payments during the academic year and pay by automatic debit, credit card, mailed payments, mobile payments, or web payments. Payment plans are interest-free but require a small annual administrative fee. Signup is easy and online. FACTS provides 24/7 live-agent customer service and is integrated with FlyWire to accept international payments. Parents and guardians may also view account status and make payments from any mobile device.
529 Plans are tax-advantaged savings plans designed to encourage saving for educational costs. These qualified tuition plans are sponsored by states, state agencies, or educational institutions and are authorized by Section 529 of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code. Recent changes in the tax code allow these funds, previously restricted to post-secondary education, to now be used for private school tuition.
Looking for Fall 2019 or January 2020 admission?
Contact the Admission Office TODAY.
Applicants for Fall 2020
Priority Admission and Financial Aid Application Deadline (rolling admissions begins after the deadline)
Notification of Admission & Financial Aid Decisions
Missed our deadlines? Contact the Admission Office TODAY.
Financial Aid Application Deadline
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School's SSS ID Number is: 6292.