For International Students
Students from Around the Globe
At St. Andrew's-Sewanee School students from around the corner and around the globe quickly become immersed in the school's academic, extracurricular, and social life. SAS seeks students who are academically motivated, curious, and actively involved in activities in and out of school. We welcome students to apply to St. Andrew's-Sewanee School whether they wish to graduate from our school or enjoy a one-year enrichment experience.
- St. Andrew's-Sewanee School offers international students an American high school in a safe smalltown setting.
- Out of a total school enrollment of approximately 220, in an average year, SAS welcomes 40 students with citizenship in 15 countries outside the United States.
- Outstanding juniors and seniors have the opportunity to take free courses for university credit at the nearby University of the South.
- In their first year, students share a room with an English-speaking student from a country other than their own.
- All classes reflect the diversity of the student body, allowing our international students to quickly become part of the life of the SAS community.
- All programs at St. Andrew's-Sewanee School are open to international students, and the faculty actively encourages their participation. They become involved in leadership positions such as Proctors, Conduct Council, and the Honor Council.
- Our international students frequently participate in interscholastic sports, win awards in state-wide arts competitions, are invited to participate in summer Governor's Schools in various topics, and perform with our choir and the Sewanee Symphony.
- International students have the opportunity to see more of America than Sewanee. Students are often invited to accompany classmates to their homes at holidays and participate in travel programs.
Admission to St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
International students should submit a completed application, including biographical data, a transcript of academic work (with English translation), a writing sample by the applicant and letters of recommendation, standardized testing, as well as complete an interview conducted in person or by video-chat. St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School requests that all international students complete the Duolingo English Test, the TOEFL iBT or the TOEFL Junior.
The TOEFL code for St. Andrew's-Sewanee School is: 8131
(At SAS) JJ found more than a country or a school, he found a big family to count on. Listening to him talk about his life there, we understand “We belong here”.
Carlos Fernandez, parent (MADRID, SPAIN)
- What do I need in order to apply?
- For which grades do you accept international boarding applicants?
- Can I apply to start in the spring?
- What testing is required for admission to SAS?
- How many international students do you have?
- How many international students do you accept each year?
- Do you have financial aid for international students?
- What are the school's average SAT and ACT scores?
- Where will I live if I come to SAS?
- How do we make tuition payments and transfers to our student's account?
College of Wooster
The University of the South
University of California, Berkeley
The University of Washington
Current Student, Rhode Island School of Design
After just one year at SAS, we found that our daughter was more active with a willingness to manage her own time and a thirst for knowledge. She has learned to eat more healthfully, be more understanding of people, and manage her money. She has done all this growing up and has a 4.0 GPA, too!
Xiaolei Wu, Shanghai, China
Each year, SAS welcomes students from 13-17 different countries.
Getting to St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
Students can fly into any one of three airports: Nashville International Airport (airport code BNA, 90 miles from school), Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport (airport code CHA, 50 miles), and Atlanta, Georgia's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (airport code ATL, 165 miles). Nashville and Atlanta have the best international connections. The school will be happy to help arrange transportation to and from these airports by commercial shuttle or private driver.
This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. St. Andrew's-Sewanee School does not discriminate on the basis of gender, religion, race, color, or national and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies, scholarship programs, athletic or other school-administered programs.