Things to Do
On the SAS Campus
- Visit the Art Gallery in Simmonds Hall.
- Do a walking tour of the campus outdoor art installations.
- Hike to Piney Point, around the school lake or to the Res. (You can print a copy of our campus map for other hiking trails.)
- Ride the mountain bike trail.
- Pick wild blackberries and blueberries.
- Hunt for wildflowers on one of our many trails.
At the University of the South
- Tour the University's architecture including All Saints' Chapel, the Chapel of the Apostles and McClurg Dining Hall. (Guests may eat at the dining hall for a fee.)
- Visit Abbo's Alley, Sewanee's linear park.
- Hike the 22-mile perimeter trail which circles the University's 13,000 acre campus.
- Watch the sunset from the Memorial Cross.
- Work out at the Fowler Center's indoor pool, racquetball/tennis courts, indoor track, climbing wall or weight room. (SAS guests pay $3.00/day.)
- Go wildflower hunting or birding at Lake Cheston or in Shakerag Hollow.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee and an art exhibit at Stirling's Coffee House.
- Shop for local crafts at the Lemon Fair and gifts at Taylor's Mercantile.
- Visit the University's Art Gallery or catch a concert or lecture on campus.
- Play a round of golf at The Course at Sewanee.
- Enjoy dinner in downtown Sewanee.
- Take a walk or bike ride down the Mountain Goat Trail.
- Ride the ziplines at Bigfoot Adventure.
- Hike Fiery Gizzard or Foster Falls in the South Cumberland Recreation Area.
- Golf Sweetens Cove Golf Course or the Bear Trace course at Tims Ford.
- Take the little kids to the Adventure Playground in Monteagle.
- Explore downtown Chattanooga including the Tennessee Aquarium, IMAX theatre, stores, the Hunter Museum of American Art and the Creative Discovery Museum
- Explore the cosmos at the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.
- Enjoy local history at Falls Mill and stop for some great cookies at the Swiss Pantry in Belvidere.
- Find the iPod you left on your last plane flight at Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, Alabama.
- Take the tour of the Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee.
- Visit the Hands-On Science Center in Tullahoma.
Sewanee's Masking Directive
Consistent with Executive Order No. 50 issued by Gov. Lee and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the town of Sewanee instituted a mandatory mask directive for all persons on the Domain—to include residents, visitors, students, faculty, and staff. The directive remains in force until further notice.