Challenge. Balance. Joy.
St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, boarding and day college preparatory school serving 250 students in grades 6-12. We CHALLENGE our students to fulfill their greatest potential while helping them to cultivate lives of BALANCE and JOY.
The St. Andrew's-Sewanee School mission is:
- to be an inclusive Christian community in which the Episcopal heritage is central;
- to provide superior preparation for college;
- to provide educational opportunities for those students for whom such experiences might not otherwise be available;
- to bring all members of the community to a richer spiritual, intellectual, social, physical, and aesthetic awareness so that they might lead lives of honor and loving service to God and to others.
Perspective: We celebrate our place while cultivating world-wise connection.
Communication: We consider carefully how and what we communicate.
Preparation: We foster resourcefulness as we engage in real work in the real world.
Voice: We value and empower the many voices in our community.
Well Being: The health and well-being of individuals and our school inform every decision we make.
- Good teaching inspires curiosity.
- Students deserve to have their individual needs met for both challenge and support.
- Depth has more value than breadth.
- Time outdoors is time well spent.
- Authentic narrative assessments are more useful than grades and standardized test scores.
- God calls us to be actively compassionate and to value what makes one another unique.
- The future will belong to creative, lifelong learners.
POINTS OF PRIDE
- New members of our community quickly feel welcome and valued.
- Our intellectually, socially, and economically diverse student body blends well.
- We enjoy the educational, recreational, and creative opportunities provided by our beautiful campus.
- Our relationship with the University of the South provides extraordinary opportunities for our students.
- We foster a healthy balance between work and play.
- Our students are encouraged to formulate their own values and beliefs.
- Students find enduring mentors among our faculty and staff.
- Our graduates thrive in advanced college coursework, self-advocacy, and written communication.
Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Independent Schools.
Memberships: National Association of Independent Schools, National Association of Episcopal Schools, The College Board, Independent Curriculum Group, American Secondary Schools for International Students (ASSIST), National Association for College Admissions Counseling, Southern Association for College Admissions Counseling, Cum Laude Society, Association of College Counselors in Independent Schools, Tennessee Association of Independent Schools (TAIS), Tennessee Association of Episcopal Schools (TAES).