Things to do on the Mountain
On the SAS Campus
- Visit the Art Gallery in Simmonds Hall.
- Do a walking tour of the campus outdoor art installations.
- Hike to Piney Point, around the school lake or to the Res. (You can print a copy of our campus map for other hiking trails.)
- Ride the mountain bike trail.
- Pick wild blackberries and blueberries.
- Hunt for wildflowers on one of our many trails.
At the University of the South
- Tour the University's architecture including All Saints' Chapel, the Chapel of the Apostles and McClurg Dining Hall. (Guests may eat at the dining hall for a fee.)
- Visit Abbo's Alley, Sewanee's linear park.
- Hike the 22-mile perimeter trail which circles the University's 13,000 acre campus.
- Watch the sunset from the Memorial Cross.
- Work out at the Fowler Center's indoor pool, racquetball/tennis courts, indoor track, climbing wall or weight room. (SAS guests pay $3.00/day.)
- Go wildflower hunting or birding at Lake Cheston or in Shakerag Hollow.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee and an art exhibit at Stirling's Coffee House.
- Shop for local crafts at the Lemon Fair and gifts at Taylor's Mercantile.
- Visit the University's Art Gallery or catch a concert or lecture on campus.
- Dine al fresco at Julia's or the Blue Chair.