Join us for Admission Shadow-a-Student Day
Monday, January 21, 2019
7:45 a.m.-3 p.m.
Shadow-a-Student Day is the perfect opportunity to experience a day-in-the-life of an SAS student.
- Attend our special Martin Luther King, Jr. Day chapel service
- Sit in on classes
- Enjoy lunch - our treat!
Sewing: Making Your Own Clothing
In garment sewing, there are many variables: collar styles, sleeve styles, hem finishes, etc. In this class we will all make an unlined jacket, based on my pattern and design, and and we will then use that structure to explore some of those variables. The jacket pattern will offer variation options and room for personal embellishments. Sewing, pattern making, and designing are separate skills, and the class will be a creative experience where the participants will go away with tangible skills as well as ideas about design for their own work.
Jean is a fashion designer and handweaver. She made her place initially in the world of fine craft, and now, with many of the same principles, produces a line of women's clothing. Jean lives and works in Austin, Texas.
I focus on wearable and lasting staples to empower and embolden those around us. My collection is a statement of breaking the mold. My brand is less about "fashion," and more about style. A timelessness focused on garments you love, and will love. Wardrobe additions in intriguing color ways you can't find elsewhere. Fabrics you'll want to live in. A collection to discover yourself at any point in life.
Website: Jean Jones
- Sewing machine
- Sewing machine needles appropriate to your fabric
- Regularly used sewing notions
- Muslin or mock-up fabric (at least 3 yards) (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- Fashion fabric (at least 3 yards)
- Fashion fabric lining if desired
- Pencil (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- Pattern paper (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- See thru ruler (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- Paper scissors (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- Fabric scissors (available for purchase at Shakerag if needed)
- Jean will have interfacing for participants to purchase.