At SAS the Dress Code reflects the way we learn. Sitting on the floor, wading in ponds, acting, hiking, and throwing clay are tough to do in a coat and tie. The SAS Dress Code requires students to be properly covered, neat, and clean. Jeans (if they are unpatched and hemmed) and tennis shoes, shorts, and sandals are all fine. SAS students enjoy the relaxed feel of the Dress Code, and that spirit carries over into classes and throughout the campus.
COVID NOTE: There will be some relaxation of the Dress Code due to COVID concerns and Afternoon Programs. Stay tuned for additional information.
View the 2020-21 Dress Code in our Student & Parent Handbook.
School Dress is worn everywhere on campus Monday - Friday from 8:45 am - 3:10 pm. Because students may not be aware of each day’s activities, school dress should always be appropriate for the possibility of outdoor activities and active learning.
- All clothing must be clean, properly hemmed, unfrayed, and must fit appropriately.*
- No athletic wear: athletic pants, athletic shorts, athletic tights, and sweatpants are not to be worn during the school day. The only exception is sports teams asked to be in uniform by their coach.
COVID-19 NOTE: Because locker rooms may be closed, students may wear their SAS practice gear or other clothing required for their Afternoon Programs to class; rules for neatness, cleanliness, and modesty still apply.
- Leggings can only be worn with dresses, blouses, or tunics, and the student’s entire trunk must be covered. Students cannot wear t-shirts, sweatshirts, pullovers, or any type of jacket with any style of legging.
- No camouflage clothing.
- Skirts, dresses, and shorts must be no shorter than the tip of the middle finger*
- Tops must cover the abdomen, back, and chest at all times.*
- Shoulder straps must be at least two fingers wide.*
- Appropriate undergarments must be worn but not visible.*
- Brands, logos, images, and words must be smaller than the hand, with the exception of shirts, sweatshirts, and outerwear with St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School design/approved graphics or college logos. College t-shirts/sweatshirts with more than just the logo can not be worn.
- Tobacco, alcohol, and other drug or sexually explicit/suggestive designs or logos are never acceptable.
- See-through clothing, visible piercings (other than ears), “gauges,” tattoos, distracting hairstyles, unnatural hair colors, and other head coverings (except those for religious reasons) are not permitted. Hats may be worn outdoors only.*
- Pajamas are not to be worn during the school day or at all in the Dining Hall.*
- Faces must be clean shaven.
Grub Days/Casual Dress may be worn when School Dress or Formal Dress is not required. Restrictions marked with an asterisk (*) above are still enforced on Grub Days/Casual Dress Days.