Check Out Procedures
Students, parents and guardians must sign out and back in immediately upon return to campus on the sign out sheet located at the Academic Administrative Assistant’s desk in the Bishop Bratton Hall office area.
As of April 3, boarding students can check out from campus on Saturdays and Sundays to a specific destination. To check out, a boarding student must have driver and/or rider privileges set up in Boardingware. Boarding students may check out for up to four hours, starting at 11:30 a.m., with a Teacher-in-Charge (TIC). Boarding students in grades 7 and 8 may only check out with an SAS family and only with the approval of the Administrator-on-Call. All boarding students must return to campus and check in with the TIC by 10 p.m. on Saturday night and 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. Check-outs to specific destinations off the Mountain require a phone call between the parent and the TIC for both the driver and the rider; no blanket permissions are accepted. Students with unserved detention hours are ineligible to check out. Afternoon van runs will now be available to several destinations, including downtown Sewanee.
There are no weekday check-outs.
3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- Check outs to destinations off campus are based on academics AND grade level.
- Check outs to destinations on campus (including but not limited to biking, hiking, walking, skateboarding, etc.) must allow time to get to the destination and back before darkness falls without using another mode of transportation.
- Must include at least one other person and a cell phone.
- Must wear protective gear if leaving the gates to go on the Mountain Goat Trail or on all trails when mountain biking.
- Must not conflict with other obligations, including Afternoon Programs.
- Must check-out and check-in with the Academic Administrative Assistant by 4:15 p.m.
Weekends and Off Hours
On weekends, boarding students may check out to destinations off campus during meals or in the Union. During “off hours” on school days (i.e., after 3:00 p.m. and before study hours), boarding students may not check out off to destinations off campus except with an authorized adult (a faculty member, a family member, etc.).
- Day students may check out boarding students on the weekend provided none of the students involved has any detentions.
- Boarding students without any detentions may leave campus during the weekend and off-hours provided the student follows the proper check out procedure.
WEEKEND PRIVILEGES, BASED ON BEHAVIOR AND GRADE LEVEL, DO NOT BEGIN UNTIL 5:30 P.M. ON FRIDAY.