In 1981, St. Andrew's School (est. 1905) and Sewanee Academy (est. 1868) combined their strengths to create St. Andrew's-Sewanee School. At the time of the merger, the Board of Trustees adopted the following statement which continues to be the school's guiding pursuit.
The mission of St. Andrew's-Sewanee School is:
- to be an inclusive Christian community in which the Episcopal heritage is central;
- to provide superior preparation for college;
- to provide educational opportunities for those students for whom such experiences might not otherwise be available;
- to bring all members of the community to a richer spiritual, intellectual, social, physical, and aesthetic awareness, so that they might lead lives of honor and loving service to God and to others.
- Good teaching inspires curiosity.
- Students deserve to have their individual needs met for both challenge and support.
- Depth has more value than breadth.
- Time outdoors is time well spent.
- Authentic narrative assessments are more useful than grades and standardized test scores.
- God calls us to be actively compassionate and to value what makes one another unique.
- The future will belong to creative, lifelong learners.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status or any other protected class pursuant to applicable local, state or federal laws.
Challenge Balance Joy
Established in 1868, St. Andrew’s-Sewanee School is dedicated to inspiring students to live lives of active curiosity and loving service. We challenge our students to fulfill their greatest potential while helping them to cultivate lives of balance and joy.
In Their Own Words
“Now, after almost two years of living with my best friends and experiencing genuine excitement for school, I truly cannot imagine a life without SAS. It has completely and utterly amazed me.”
"SAS has a special energy, it is remarkable to see so many people who really care about their work and their pursuits. I think it connects us all in a way, everyone is a piece in this project."
“SAS is a place unlike any other. The love and growth I've experienced here are unparalleled by any other community I've been a part of. From building relationships with teachers and peers to finding a balance between work and play, SAS provides the perfect atmosphere to cultivate your best self."
“SAS taught me hard work and diligence, leadership and creativity, how to celebrate success and how to pick myself up from failure. But what I believe makes St. Andrew's-Sewanee such a unique and remarkable place is that this school taught me how to love myself, my peers, my teachers, my coaches, my community, and my world.”