Named one of the eight most beautiful high schools in the South by Southern Living magazine, SAS is truly in a class by itself. The beauty and majesty of our campus and the mountain it sits upon cannot be captured in photos. You're going to have to come visit. The Mountain (as we call it) is a set on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau between Nashville and Chattanooga. Our school's 550-acre campus includes fields, forests, bluffs, caves, and waterfalls. The Spanish colonial architecture gives you a feeling that you've slipped away to another world.
At an elevation of 2,100 feet, the views are lovely, and the changing seasons offer endless variety— fall color, spring wildflowers, sparkling snowfalls, and the occasional eerie fog. The scenic campus has cliffs to scale, lakes to swim, ponds to study, and miles of trails for running, mountain biking, and hiking. Our magnificent setting enriches the life of the community. We are what we are, in large part, because of where we are.
Now a faculty residence, this was once the home of James Agee, arguably the most famous alumnus of St. Andrew’s School.
The Agee Library, which contains more than 30,000 books, provides a quiet spot for students to do research and catch up on their homework and studies.
Home to the Head of School, Ayres House is also a frequent location for parent and alumni receptions and student gatherings.
The fenced baseball field includes both home team and visiting team dugouts.
Bishop Bratton Hall is the center of our academic and student life administration and houses the Learning Resources Center and several Upper School history and English classrooms.
The Bouldering Cave offers students opportunities to safely practice their climbing skills no matter the weather. The Mountain Biking Shed is home to our Varsity Mountain Biking Team and houses a shop for repairing and maintaining bikes.
Card House was built in 1925 and is currently used as a private residence. Due to its central location, Card House's porch is a favorite hangout for students.
Colmore House is home to 12 students and one faculty family. Its large inviting commons room is a popular gathering place for residents. The house features six double rooms, a commons room with kitchen area, a study, laundry facilities, cable TV, wifi, and a common bathroom.
Father Flye House is the Dean of Students' residence.
The smaller of the campus's two lakes (the other being The "Res,") Gunn Lake provides opportunities for outdoor science labs and fishing. Trails surrounding the lake are popular for hiking and mountain biking.
Students enjoy the camaraderie of living with their friends and classmates. The upstairs Common Room is a favorite hangout for gaming. A downstairs study room provides space for students working on group projects.
The Health Clinic is located in the Student Union.
Home to the Admission Office and the Head of School's Office, Langford also houses the Advancement, Alumni Relations, Communications & Marketing Offices, and the historic Spencer Room.
In addition to being the home to the school's Chaplain, Martin House is the location of one of the School's many outdoor classrooms.
Built in 2009, McCrory Hall for the Performing Arts is home to our theater and music programs.
Owen Student Union provides a central gathering space for Upper School students. The Union includes billiards, ping pong, foosball, cable TV, and a fully-stocked and equipped kitchen. The stone fireplace at the center of the building is a popular winter hangout.
The Reishman-Chamberlain Wing is the center of Middle School academic life.
Each day, students and faculty gather for meals in the historic Robinson Dining Hall which was built in 1931.
Simmonds Hall houses numerous classrooms, the Agee Library, the SAS Gallery, the Tech Lab, and naturally-lit art studios.
Restored and rededicated in 2016, St. Andrew's Chapel is the spiritual heart of the SAS community.
St. Mary's Hall and Warner House is divided into two houses, each with 20 students and two faculty families.
The school's six tennis courts were built in 2000. Sarah's Shade, built in memory of a former student, provides a viewing platform and shade for tennis fans.
The entrance to campus is a portal to another world. Once through the school gates, a winding road guides you to central campus, a cluster of Spanish mission-style buildings of stucco and red tiled roofs.
The campus lake used, enjoyed, and studied by the entire SAS community.
The SAS Farm is one of the many ways that we use our campus to bring the classroom outdoors.
Located in the Simmonds Building, our art facilities include three studios.
Built in 1929 as a gymnasium, the building was transformed in 1981 to provide a spacious classroom and rehearsal studio.
Tucker Dining Room is a smaller dining area designed for meetings and special events.
Resurfaced in 2018, the six-lane, all-weather track surrounds the varsity game field. In addition to the varsity field, there are two practice fields, one for football and one for soccer.
Wade Hall for the Sciences is a LEED Gold Certified facility co-designed by the SAS science faculty and Franklin Architects of Chattanooga to create the optimal space for science learning.
Built in 1996, Watts House accommodates 12 students and a faculty family. The house features six double rooms, a commons room with kitchen area, a study, laundry facilities, cable TV, wifi, and a common bathroom.
The gymnasium includes a basketball/volleyball court, weight room, locker room, athletic trainer's room, and the athletics offices.
Built in 1996, Woods House accommodates 12 students and a faculty family. The house features six double rooms, a commons room with kitchen area, a study, laundry facilities, cable TV, wifi, and a common bathroom.
Angel Park, Downtown Sewanee
Otey Memorial Parish, Sewanee
Otey Memorial Parish, Sewanee