Built in 1929 as a gymnasium, the building was transformed in 1981 to provide a spacious classroom and rehearsal studio.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee has long enjoyed a strong reputation for its arts programs. All Upper School students must complete an arts course for graduation. Classes are demanding in scope and expectation. In addition to scheduled courses, students are able to pursue instrumental, vocal, and dance studies through private lessons. Students also may audition for the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra, the Sewanee Jazz Ensemble, and Perpetual Motion dance productions at the University of the South.
All courses listed below are one semester courses and may be taken repeatedly for credit. In addition to these offerings, students may take private voice, instrumental and/or dance lessons for an additional fee. They may also participate in SAS, community, and University performances in theatre, orchestra and dance.
In addition to these academic day courses, in 2019-2020 we will be offering Art History and Afternoon Programs in Theater, Tech Theater, and Portrait Painting.
- Beginning Guitar Ensemble (Fall)
- Drawing, Painting, and 2-Dimensional Design (Fall)
- Filmmaking (Fall/Spring)
- Functional Pottery (Fall/Spring)
- Intermediate Guitar Ensemble (Spring)
- Photography–Community Connections (Fall)
- SAS Vocal Ensemble (Fall/Spring)
- Studio Photography (Spring)
- Technical Drawing: Building, Industrial, and Graphic Design (Spring)
- Theater Design and Tech (Fall)
- Theater Arts (Spring)
School: 931.598.5651 ext. 3209
M.T.S., Harvard Divinity School
M.A., University of Iowa
M.F.A., University of Iowa
School: 931.598.5651 ext. 3143
M.A., Theatre Education, The Catholic University of America
M.A., Bowling Green State University
School: 931.598.5651 ext. 1017